Battery Charger/Inverter

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1987 Wellcraft Monte Carlo has a NewPro 20/35 3 bank Inverter/Charger, on main panel breaker marked Inverter. My question is, what is the inverter part of this unit. It will charge the batteries but seems this unit is uncontrolled and left on will cook the batteries and dry them out so this I manage. Don't know what they mean by inverter? is there one? am i able to plug in a 120v TV or such and have it work off this unit? If I were to change out for new smart charger would I just wire in to the wires that are attached to the old unit?

alldodge

Staff member
1987 Wellcraft Monte Carlo has a NewPro 20/35 3 bank Inverter/Charger, on main panel breaker marked Inverter. My question is, what is the inverter part of this unit. It will charge the batteries but seems this unit is uncontrolled and left on will cook the batteries and dry them out so this I manage. Don't know what they mean by inverter? is there one? am i able to plug in a 120v TV or such and have it work off this unit? If I were to change out for new smart charger would I just wire in to the wires that are attached to the old unit?

Charger/Inverters are both a battery charger and an inverter. The inverter uses the batteries to produce 120VAC when switched on. An inverter is the same as a Uninterruptable Power Supply UPS) used to protect computers and other devices. The UPS has some batteries in it so if power is lost it automatically switches to AC output to keep a computer from crashing. You can find inverters in all shapes and sizes. From little ones which can be used to power a laptop in a car, to whole house models. Even make them for garage door openers and sump pumps.

The way they should work is when your connected to shore power, or when the boats generator is running, the battery charger section charges to batteries. When on batteries only you can flip on the inverter switch and it will produce 120VAC for TV, coffee pot or other items. The inverter should be able to be set to turn off when batteries start getting low to protect them.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The older systyms pretty much cooked any battery. Time to upgrade to a new inverter/charger that will suit your needs. If all ya want is 12 volts while away ftom the dock, you don't need an inverter. And ya,you can hookup to the existing wiring if it's in good shape and marine grade.

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
AllDodge, thanks for the clarification just want to confirm my mind has it right, when out off shore power turn on the inverter switch on the main panel and the 120v plugs will be live to run a 120v fan or TV.

alldodge

Staff member
AllDodge, thanks for the clarification just want to confirm my mind has it right, when out off shore power turn on the inverter switch on the main panel and the 120v plugs will be live to run a 120v fan or TV.

Yes, "IF" no one has changed the wiring and if the inverter does work. You can do it at the dock just to test it out. Disconnect shore power, turn on the inverter switch and see if it works. Have not seen your breaker panel