Temp light stays on

UncleWillie

Captain
New impeller and THERMOSTAT water flow great . Light stays on when engine is cold and will not go out.

Assuming a typical Merc Power plant... (What have you???)
When you replaced the thermostat, did you connect the Wires up to the correct sensors? Temp Gauge? Temp Alarm?
The T-Stat housing Gasket commonly has a couple of brass grommets in the Gasket to get the T-Stat Housing with the Temp sensors to connect to the engine block. If you did not replace the gasket, the connection may be questionable.

Suzuki 90 HP 2007. Installed new impeller and thermostat. Good flow of water out pee hole ( engine is in large tub, no muffs) Checked temp sensors according to manual even bought a new one to try and exchanged back and forth to see if either one was bad. The temp light will not go out on tach. Ran engine for 15 min. And put infrared tool and was not hot. Could the green w/ yellow stripe temp wire have a short somewhere causing it to stay lit. Making me more crazy than I already am. Please advise

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Do you own a DVM? If so check for ground on that wire you stated and see if it is grounded. Could be the problem. I don't know anything about your particular engine, but if the sensor see a ground when too hot then you could have a shorted wire as you stated. JMHO!

Thanks commander, will try tomorrow right now this bad head cold has me down. Need to get out on water for some fresh air and sun. Will let you know when I find the problem. Paul

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you also check the actually sensor to see what resistance it has too at cold... The fact that you stated the light goes off as it warms up has me wondering. Have you changes it or does it have any Teflon tape on the threads? If so, the tape has to go.You need a good ground for the sensor to make a complete circuit for proper operation unless it has TWO wires coming out of the sensor. Then you need to track down both wires to see where they go.