3 Button trim conversion

bigkp02

Recruit
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and have a question that I'm sure has been on here before... I have an old 1973 Signa, which has the 3 buttons for trimming the outdrive. I'm wondering is there a conversion of any sort out there in which I could re-wire and place a up/down switch on my throttle control? I would imagine there would be something like this available.... Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!

Bondo

Staff member
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and have a question that I'm sure has been on here before... I have an old 1973 Signa, which has the 3 buttons for trimming the outdrive. I'm wondering is there a conversion of any sort out there in which I could re-wire and place a up/down switch on my throttle control? I would imagine there would be something like this available.... Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Who's motor, 'n drive,..?? What motor, 'n drive,..??

bigkp02

Recruit
Hey Bondo, thanks for responding. It'sV6 4.3 Merc with an Alpha one outdrive which were both put in this past summer. Switches are worn and not always responsive which is frustrating, even after cleaning the switch as best I could. Ideally I'd like to replace it with one for up/down only on the control, but I've seen I may need to replace the whole control and cables which could get costly. Or should I just put a dash mounted switch in place up/down only?

Bondo

Staff member
Hey Bondo, thanks for responding. It'sV6 4.3 Merc with an Alpha one outdrive which were both put in this past summer. Switches are worn and not always responsive which is frustrating, even after cleaning the switch as best I could. Ideally I'd like to replace it with one for up/down only on the control, but I've seen I may need to replace the whole control and cables which could get costly. Or should I just put a dash mounted switch in place up/down only?

Ayuh,.... Did ya clean all the connections at the pump,..?? That's the most common place for corroded ends, screwin' up the system,....

Ya, you can add all the switches ya want, where ever ya want,....

bigkp02

Recruit
Would you happen to know or how to reconfigure the wiring from a 3 button (trailer up included) switch to a normal up/down switch. I'm thinking I would use a switch with a middle off position and a momentary on for up and momentary on for down, sound about right?

Bondo

Staff member
Would you happen to know or how to reconfigure the wiring from a 3 button (trailer up included) switch to a normal up/down switch. I'm thinking I would use a switch with a middle off position and a momentary on for up and momentary on for down, sound about right?

Ayuh,.... You've got it,.... The 3 button switch runs the up through the trim limit switch out on the drive, the up/ down switch by-passes the limit switch,...

You can add as many switches, where ever ya want, so long as wired parallel,.....