I'm looking fish finder/depth finder combo, Lowrence brand, HELP, which one?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... What's yer budget,..??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Years ago I liked Lowrence because they has some of the best electronics going at that time. However, being out of the fishing hobby now for quite some time, I'm certainly not up with the 'tronics on the market these days. I know a lot of folks that do fish religiously around here still seek Lowrence units if that says anything.

Bifflefan

Commander
The HDS-5 Gen2 is on sale at some outdoor stores for $499. While I don't have one of these (I have the HDS 8 Gen 2 and a HDS 7 Gen 2 touch) I have replaced all my humminbird with Lorwrance in the last year. You will get the most value from the 5, but like anything in electronics the more you pay the better you get. Just try and get a Gen 2 as they are the newest and best out. With Lowrance you can add structure scan later if you want to, also there are other add ons that make it better. With the other brands you can not do this.

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
I recently bought a HDS7 Gen 2. If I want to add the structure scan later all I will need is the transducer. Unlike the Gen 1 the electronics for it is already built in. If that HDS5 is built the same way that would be a good buy.

lenarw79

Seaman Apprentice
on the back of my Lawrence Elite 5 HDS is output for the antenna, should I connect the antenna to my equipment??

Bifflefan

Commander
on the back of my Lawrence Elite 5 HDS is output for the antenna, should I connect the antenna to my equipment??

If its an HDS 5 Gen 2 then you have an ethernet plug on the back for the LSS structure scan, if you don't have the plug then you you don't have a gen 2 and will need to upgrade.