Running the Trolling Motot

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Someone wiser than me on this Board warned against letting batteries just sit, then repeatedly recharging them--rather then using them so the charge wears down "by use" and then recharging. It was sort of an "idle use" warning. Assuming that warning had merit, here's my question. Is it OK to run the trolling motor out of the water to wear down the batteries a bit, then recharge? Is that a waste of time? Will that ruin the trolling motor?

(you may sense that I don't get to the lake enough)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
It shouldn't hurt anything,.........But why???

Just put a maintainer on the battery and be done worrying about it,...........imho,............

fishrdan

Admiral
I wouldn't worry about running the batteries down to minimize "memory". Just completely charge them after each use and you'll be good.

I wouldn't run the TM out of the water for very long, couple minutes at the most. The lower unit (motor) is designed to be cooled by the surrounding water, without water the motor can overheat and eventually cause damage.

NYBo

Admiral
As long as you don't let them sit in a discharged state, they will be fine. Just charge them every month or two. As fishrdan stated, don't run the trolling motor out of water. The batteries don't need the "exercise" and it will damage the motor.