What amp fuses do I use for fuse panel???

mrecho76

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 96 Sunbird with a Johnson 115 and don't know what fuses I need. On my instrument panel, I have several fuses under the switches and need to know what the correct amps are that I shoulde be using. It's the long round fuses, shaped like a aaa battery, where you twist the black round cap and pull the fuses out. I have fuses for the following:

1. Ignition
2. Bilge pump
3. Horn
4. Navigation lights
5. Live well pump

What amp fuses should be in each of these? If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It all depends on the size of the wire used in the circuit and how many amps the connected device uses. A completely wild guess would be:
1. 15A, 2. 15A, 3. 5A, 4 10A, 5 20A.

mrecho76

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply! Your guess is better than mine and sounds good to me so I'll go with it! :)

alldodge

Staff member
:welcome: to iboats

Look at you pumps (live well and bilge) they are usually marked.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Bilge and livewell pumps don't draw all that much juice unless they are really big, usually less than 5 amps. Your wiring to most accessories is likely no larger than 16 gauge, so fuses used on those circuits should be no larger than 10 amps.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
No problem having a 15A or 20A fuse with 16 gauge wire. ABYC conservative numbers would say 15A max.

Last edited: