Part 2 - Power supply to replace batteries?

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a device that will convert ac120 to dc12 that I can attach to the battery leads or plug into the accessory port to supply power to the boat so that I don't have to re-install the batteries. I want to work on some of the electronics while the boat is in storage over the winter? Secondly, is using such a device for that purpose a good idea?

Hello Everyone,

Will this unit do the trick? I was concerned about the 17v output.

charger1.jpg

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

alldodge

Staff member
Depending on where you look there are good and bad reviews on the product. If vendor is selling them they have good reviews, but if not there are bad ones. Both reviews indicate it's built pretty cheep, and many don't work and need to be replaced. Unable to find if the 250W can be combined or not. If it cannot be combined to obtain the 20amp output, it won't be worth much. Most folks doing write ups are the RC racer types which need them to change batteries. The 17V would be fine but this also is a clue to making a cheaper power supply. The output being 17V at no load, I would bet it drops down the more load you put on it. The good power supplies output is closer to 13.8V.

I would suggest to look for a name brand like Triplite and Speco, in this way when your done with your current project it will still be around for your next
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...y1B4ZMYd_yrQbuJ_kUohhkk-rBMQQYdm-wBoC_fDw_wcB

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would have simply connected one of your batteries already. however if you really dont want to connect a battery and want to use a power supply vs batteries to test your on-board electronics. spend $50 and get a jump pack. it has two 12 volt rechargeable batteries (same as you have in emergency lighting, UPS power supplies, and electric wheel chairs), has an on-board charger and a pair of aligator battery clamps.

or, if you dont want to spend that much, just get the small 12 volt rechargeable battery for the emergency lighting for $15 from batteries plus and use it. the batteries come with simple lug connections.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks a million guys. I'm going to give the jump box a try. Bill, good to hear from you over in Lorain.

Again Thanks,
Paul Bolden

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Jump boxes are fine for their intended purpose -- ONLY if you keep them charged. Most of those things die an early death because they are not charged immediately after use. Your local farm store (Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply, etc.) can provide you with a garden tractor battery for less than $25.00. Make up a pair of quick connects for the boat. Put the battery in a small tool box for easy transport. Problem solved. You still need a way to charge that battery but battery tenders and 1.5 - 2 amp chargers are dirt cheap.