Nissan ignition switch help

stinkbait60

Recruit
I would appreciate help in replacing (finding the right switch ) to replace the ignition switch for a NS70A serial number 13209 Nissan outboard motor . I haven't been able to find a lot of information on this motor. Not sure what year it is. It has a six terminal ignition switch with push key choke. Sure could use some help, the old switch has 2 red wires, one black, one blue, one tan, one green no letters by the wires indicating what they are for. Have not been able to find any schematics for this switch at least not with same color wires. Help Please

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
;You may not be using the most effective search methods. You likely will not find a switch schematic. However if you search for "Nissan Outboard Motor Wiring Diagram" or terms similar to that you may turn up a wiring diagram for the motor. That's where the ignition switch wiring would show up. You might check your local library as well. They generally have a selection of outboard motor repair manuals that have wiring diagrams. They may not have one for your exact engine but wiring on ignition switches is generally similar within a given span of models. Even without a diagram, you should be able to trace these wires. One large red wire should be the +12 volt feed from the battery. This wire is likely attached at the starter solenoid terminal on which the large red battery cable is connected to. The small terminal on the solenoid is the START position on the ignition switch. Compare the wire colors. The Push to choke feature feeds the choke solenoid on the engine. Again, compare the wire colors. The black wire is likely part of the magneto kill circuit and will connect to ground. One of the other wires would go to the ignition module.

stinkbait60

Recruit
Thank you for your help. i was told that the Nissan dealer has master keys for the switch and can cut new keys so i will be checking there, again thanks for the help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It would have been nice to know the reason for switch replacement was because you lost the key. There are not that many keys for any of these engines. Look for a letter or number code at the area around the key slot. That code can (if there is one) can be used to buy another key. The dealer likely doesn't even have to cut one. They pull one out of the parts bin.

stinkbait60

Recruit
Slivertip i'm sorry, it just didn't occur to me to explain the reason that i was looking in to replacing the switch. I pulled the switch and took it to local locksmith he cut two for 26 dollars, The nearest Nissan dealer is 62 miles one way, so it was cheaper doing it local. I do thank you for your help and just so you know i was looking at putting a universal switch and the information you provided would have been a big help . Thanks Jim