trolling motor and fish finder

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just really wondering what people do when they mount their fish finders to the transom mount trolling motor, Do you leave the trolling motor down so the fish finder still functions when moving to new spot with outboard doing 25? or do you raise up trolling motor up every time and just hope you dont miss a good spot? . Any info would be very helpful for me so Thanks in advance

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Or should I just mount the fishfinder to the transom?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Seems like quick way to damage the trolling motor by leaving it down when traveling at 25 MPH. It would very likely break the troller mount pivot. To test this theory, stick you hand in the water while traveling 25 mph. A trolling motor is designed to spin at a rate that propels the boat at about 3 - 3.5 mph at its fastest setting. At 25 MPH the prop would spin at roughly 8 times that rpm. Think it's possible the armature might be destroyed spinning that fast????

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats why I wanted to know plus it kinda answers my next question of why people have 2 fish finders on there boats, unless the boats really big Thanks again

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Thats why I wanted to know plus it kinda answers my next question of why people have 2 fish finders on there boats, unless the boats really big Thanks again

Only two???

I'll have 4 when I rig the new to me one next spring,..........lol,...

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On one boat? and were do you run all the transducers?:facepalm:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
On one boat? and were do you run all the transducers?:facepalm:

The bow Lowrance locator/gps uses the transducer in the bow mount trolling motor,......

At the helm are three Lowrance gps/locator combos,...........One is a down scan imaging locator the other two are conventional 2d,..

Those have the transducers on the transom,...

I can only run one of the 2d at a time, So one locator is a backup,..

Although all three run the gps at the same time allowing different mapping chips to be used at the same time,....

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im guessing that your a pro fisherman and you never miss a fish you have targeted?. I got one $99 lowrance and a rayethon chart plotter and I barely know how to use them, Well good enough for the amount of fishing I do but having 4 Id be lost in space :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Semi-pro at best,......

Have fished as an amateur on the PWT and FLW Walleye tours,......A couple of MWC Waleye events, The AIM Weekend Walleye series, And the occasional local derby,...........

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOW. And nice to meet you, Thanks for taking the time to explain to me about your fish finders too:)