Power supply to replace batteries?

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

Is there a device that will convert ac120 to dc12 that I can attach to the battery leads or plug into the accessory port to supply power to the boat so that I don't have to re-install the batteries. I want to work on some of the electronics while the boat is in storage over the winter? Secondly, is using such a device for that purpose a good idea?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
I would think you could just use a simple battery charger. 10 amp would probably be enough if you don't try and start your motor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Some battery chargers may work and others may not and damage your equipment. Depends on what their unloaded voltage is and what kind of voltage spikes there are. Personally, I wouldn't hook up a battery charger to a fish finder or GPS.

Find a surplus Computer power supply with enough power capacity on the 12V line. That is what I have used as a cheap power supply before.

You can find many 12V power supplys on ebay. 5a or less will be less than $20

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
+1 on the PC power supply. With Black Friday around the corner and Christmas coming up, a lot of "surplus" PCs will be finding new homes around trash dumpsters. The community dumpster where I live gets a few.

saumon

Lieutenant
Did you have a powerpack (aka boosterpack) ? They're cheap and come handy around boats: other than starting when your battery died, I use one to power accessories or power trim (connected direct to the battery leads) when working on my boat during winter. Less trouble than reinstalling the batteries and, weighting the third of a real battery, are a lot easier to move around. I also use it, with small jumper wires, to test the trailer lights, instead of hooking the tow vehicle...

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Hello Everyone,

Is there a device that will convert ac120 to dc12 that I can attach to the battery leads or plug into the accessory port to supply power to the boat so that I don't have to re-install the batteries. I want to work on some of the electronics while the boat is in storage over the winter? Secondly, is using such a device for that purpose a good idea?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

Ayuh,.... How hard is it to carry a battery to the barge, 'n hook up 2 wires,..??

Ya ain't even gotta put it In the boat, just run jumper cables to it's wirin' points,...

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the feedback. It would seem that the best option for my circumstance would be a 12v 20A> regulated power supply. Thanks again guys.

Paul Bolden

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I never take the batteries out. Charged and unhooked is the way to go. 5 years and no problems. Load test in spring,hook up done.....

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Thanks for all the feedback. It would seem that the best option for my circumstance would be a 12v 20A> regulated power supply. Thanks again guys.

Paul Bolden

You can pick up them regularly on ebay or craigs list that come from campers is what I found works best , We also use ones made for our hand held radios at work that are made to run on vehicle power but use power supplies to power in shop .

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As a FYI...those who have suggested using/reinstalling my batteries. The boat is stored at a marina and the batteries are removed and stored in a different building. Rather than hassling these guys every time I want to work on the boat I thought that it would be easier for all parties concerned if I got a power supply and kept it there in the event that I needed to power up systems.

Again thanks everyone.
Paul Bolden

JoLin

Vice Admiral
+2 on the Powerpack. It's a handy thing to have around.