Fish finder help

ADGator76

Cadet
I'm in the market for a helm mounted fish finder for my bass boat. I'm leaning toward one of the Lowrance HDI models, but I'm looking for any other information/suggestions regarding a good unit. I don't want one of the tiny screen models, but at the same time, I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I'm thinking in the $500-$800 range. My primary concerns regarding the unit are built in GPS, Navionics chip capable, color (pretty sure they're all color now), easily readable screen in sunny conditions, and user friendly (i.e. not a royal pain to figure out how to use). I'm not looking for anything super fancy with touch screens and all that stuff. I just want something easy to use, that will do what I need it to do. I'm not sitting firm on the Lowrance brand, so any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the HDS7 and love the display. Mine shipped with Insight mapping and it's amazing. GPS is accurate and the sonar is fine for my types of fishing. I think you can get them on sale for the upper end of your budget.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'd say buy the biggest screen you can afford. These things change so quickly these days that by the time you figure out how to use it it will be obsolete.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I wouldn't call Lowrance "third string",................................

It's at the top of the list for me,..........

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
May I ask why would prefer Lowrance to the other I mentioned? Technical advantage? Price?

First they have always done what I need them to do,.......

Second is they support the walleye tournament circuits I fish,...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Ok.....brand loyalty and a compensated advertiser....lol.

I am not compensated in any way by Lowrance,.....

My stuff is to old to qualify for any contingency money,......

I just like how they function,.........

I'm sure the other manufacturers make okay units as well,..........

I just happen to think Lowrance is closer to the top of the list,.............

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I don't have any need for the more expensive commercial equipment,......

Lowrance makes great units for the normal boater/fisherman,.........

ADGator76

Cadet
Lowrance makes great units for the normal boater/fisherman,.........
And that is what I'm looking for. Again, I thank everyone who replied for their input. In the end, It looks like I'm most likely going with the Lowrance HDI Elite 7 (maybe the hybrid), or the Raymarine Dragonfly 7. Those 2 seem to have the best features for the money I have available to spend.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
And that is what I'm looking for. Again, I thank everyone who replied for their input. In the end, It looks like I'm most likely going with the Lowrance HDI Elite 7 (maybe the hybrid), or the Raymarine Dragonfly 7. Those 2 seem to have the best features for the money I have available to spend.

Cabelas will have some really good deals on Lowrance for black friday,...