Battery issue

tdqualls

Recruit
Here is my dilemma. Purchased a 1996 formula 23' with 454 merc bravo3. The boat has 4 optima batteries going thru a perko switch with an on board charger. Boat has a Rockford amp, 2 subs and four 61/2" speaker setup. The guy I purchased boat from said that when he was at the beach he would turn switch to #2 and run the stereo, then when he would leave he would switch to #1 if batteries were low on switch #2. Then when he was underway he would switch to all to charge all 4 batteries. I took this as saying he had the stereo only going thru 2 batteries(switch#2) and the other batteries were for everything else(switch #1). I know this can't be true because when I turn switch to any position the stereo will be active. Is there a way to stop the stereo from coming on when I have the switch on #1? If I go to the beach and do not want to use the stereo I have to turn switch to off or it will drain all 4 batteries same as when I pull boat out of water I have to make sure the switch is off.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
So I'm willing to be that just the amp is connected on the second bank. The stereo head unit is probably on the factory wiring and not run through the selector switch. If that is true, the draw off the head unit isn't a problem, it takes almost nothing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like all the loads is tied to common on the switch. You can have an additional switch if you want just for your stereo.

alldodge

Staff member
Here is my dilemma. Purchased a 1996 formula 23' with 454 merc bravo3. The boat has 4 optima batteries going thru a perko switch with an on board charger. Boat has a Rockford amp, 2 subs and four 61/2" speaker setup. The guy I purchased boat from said that when he was at the beach he would turn switch to #2 and run the stereo, then when he would leave he would switch to #1 if batteries were low on switch #2. Then when he was underway he would switch to all to charge all 4 batteries. I took this as saying he had the stereo only going thru 2 batteries(switch#2) and the other batteries were for everything else(switch #1). I know this can't be true because when I turn switch to any position the stereo will be active. Is there a way to stop the stereo from coming on when I have the switch on #1? If I go to the beach and do not want to use the stereo I have to turn switch to off or it will drain all 4 batteries same as when I pull boat out of water I have to make sure the switch is off.

:welcome: to iboats

Every amp I've seen is "normally" turned on by the head unit. The amps have relays in them so when the stereo head unit is turned on and small voltage from the head is sent to the amp. If your head unit is off and the amps remain on, try to find the small wire going to the amp listed as head or stereo and unplug it to see what happens