Parastic battery Drain issue on 2006 Mercruiser 4.3

Logic186

Cadet
I have a battery drain issue on my Searay 205 Sport. I removed the negative battery cable and then ran the red lead of my multimeter to the negative battery cable end and the black lead to the negative battery post. I was reading 0.27 Amps on the 10 A scale which seems like way to much. I started systematically removing fuses under the helm, then disconnected the stereo, the fishfinder/gps and finally the power lead to the alternator, but none of these changed the meter reading. When I removed the heavy red wire from the starter, the meter went to zero. I hooked the negative cable back to the battery and put my meter leads between the main red starter wire and the lug on the starter and the meter read zero. There is only one positive cable on my battery. Where do I go from here? The bilge pump has to be powered direct from the battery, but where is this connection? If the black battery wire is bad, could this cause the current draw?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your black battery wire is not the problem.

I am not sure I understand where you put your meter between on your second test.

Logic186

Cadet
On the second test, I took the red wire off the starter stud. I put my red meter probe on the end of the red starter wire and the black lead on the stud of the starter. Maybe that was not a good test?? I'm definitely a rookie at electrical problems. Several folks mentioned that the bilge pump could be the draw. I 'm thinking there has to be a separate feed from battery to the bilge pump or the float switch. Does this feed come off the starter or is it somewhere else?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are probably 2 wires on the starter stud. Are you talking about the cable between the battery and the starter or the smaller gauge wire?

Logic186

Cadet
There are at least 3 different studs on my starter. The one I tested was the main wire from the battery to the starter and that was the only wire on that stud.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That is pretty strange. There is usually always another one that feeds the power to the rest of your boat. Maybe its mounted to the battery on your boat.

Logic186

Cadet
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is confused by this. There is one and only one positive (red) and one negative wire on my battery. There is a pretty heavy orange wire that runs from the starter to the alternator and at least two other smaller gauge wires coming off of other studs on the starter. Maybe these wires carry juice to the other electrical components. Hopefully on Saturday, I will insert my meter between the red starter wire and the other small gauge wires mounted to the starter to see if I get any current flow. I already unplugged the orange wire at the alternator and that did not cause the parasitic flow to stop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Can you take a picture of your starter solenoid? Something doesn't sound right.

Logic186

Cadet
Looks like you are correct. Sorry but it is really hard to see the second red wire on that post. Should I test that second wire for current draw? I tried but could not upload a photo.

UncleWillie

Captain
Should I test that second wire for current draw?
Yes! Start at the POS battery post and work out from there.
Staring in the middle( Starter,Alternator) is going to complicate things.
Testing the NEG Battery post to the block indicates the problem exists.
But the next step wound be to start disconnecting everything from ground and that would be a nightmare.

Logic186

Cadet
I found the problem. The float switch for the bilge was sticking due to crud build-up and likely was not totally returning to the full off position. I cleaned the switch thoroughly with some CRC and it is smooth as silk. Put my meter between the battery post and cable a dozen times or so and it stayed at 0.00 amps. Woo hoo!!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If tge float was stuck in,you should have heard the bilgepump running. If.it's not you need to replace it.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Best method I've found for drain is install a batt disconnect switch between the batt and ground cable.
Mike