I need a little help with and electrical issue

Jimkimmi70

Cadet
1994 sea ray bowrider 3.0 L MerCruiser. My boat will not start when I put the key in the ignition and turn the key I get nothing no click no sound no nothing I can cross out the posts on the solenoid in the boat will start right up. I have checked voltage everywhere the batteries fine solenoid starter solenoid's fine the only thing I can think of is it may be a bad ignition switch how can I positively tell if it's the ignition switch that's gone bad. When I initially turn the key on to the accessory position it shows 13 V and everything works when I turn to the start position the voltage drops to zero and it will not do anything. I have checked all the fuses all are in good working order and when the boat is running after I've crossed the solenoid everything works as it should

rickryder

Commander
Sounds like you're not getting 12V to the starter solenoid from the key switch....possible corrosion at the connection on the starter from the ignition switch. First thing I would do is hook a test light to the small wire on the solenoid (sorry dont know what color it is on your rig) and see if it goes hot when the key is turned to start position.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Where are you measuring voltage when it drops to zero? I'm wondering if the neutral safety switch is defective or out of adjustment.