nema capabilities for a mercury engine

cmfc

Recruit
Hello all,
I have been looking around the web to see if I can connect my 2005 mercury 150xl SWB s/n 1B042386 to a nema system. I do not have murc monitor (to my knowledge) nor smart guages. However I know there is some sort electronical control of the motor. My main goal is to record fuel used and water pressure. I know I can add a fuel flow Sensor and I believe I can add a water pressure sensor all to my lowance elite 7hdi. Anyway help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
chuck

jhebert

Ensign
Mercury engines do not have a NMEA-2000 interface and cannot be connected to NMEA-2000 networks. You must purchase a specialized gateway (about $700) to go between a Mercury engine and a NMEA-2000 network.

There are no "nema" gauges or instruments. You probably mean NMEA.

...My main goal is to record fuel used and water pressure...

I am not aware of any sort of recording device for NMEA data. It sounds like you want some sort of data logger. Once you get a connection to the engine that allows you to access the data, you will need to install a data recorder that can ingest and store the data. It might be simpler to just jot it down in a notebook. If you can get the data to a computer, you could run some computer-based data logging software that understands NMEA. See

http://www.aggsoft.com/nmea-data-logger.htm

The above software is not too expensive, about $85. Of course you need some hardware: a computer that can run it, and some sort of interface to the NMEA-2000 network to bring the data to the computer.

If you don't mind, can you tell us why you need to record the water pressure and fuel flow data?

Last edited:

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
MercMonitor is your first choice. If the motor does not support the MercMonitor, your costs will skyrocket. The MercMonitor IS NMEA 2000 compatible and will display what you are looking for and a whole lot more. Can't speak for your 7hdi but my 7HDS will display almost anything available from the MercMonitor. I liked it so much, I added a second HDS. One for chart/sonar and one for engine functions. Not the cheapest way to go but what the heck, I can't take it with me.