Electrical issue - alternator wire getting hot/smoking

OH. DON

Cadet
Purchased a 1985 Sea Ray with a 230 mercruiser. Hooked up the batteries red to the hot, black to the ground and the heavy orange wire going to the alternator got hot and started sparking and melted the black electrical tape on the harness. Upon inspecting futher, found that the wire was split and grounding out on a bracket. I repaired the wire and put it back together and tried it again and it is still getting hot and smoking. My brother in law wonders if I damaged the alternator and would that have caused it to do that? Any suggestions on whats causing this and what to do?

UncleWillie

Captain
If the short to ground happened when the alternator was NOT turning, it is unlikely the short did any damage to the alternator.

Did the boat check out OK before you bought it?
I will assume you have operated the boat before and after purchase. ???
Why did you disconnect the Batteries?

OH. DON

Cadet
I JUST GOT THE BOAT IT WAS NOT RUNNING WHEN I BOUGHT IT. I GOT IT HOME HOOKED UP THE BATT THE BIG ORG WIRE THAT GOES TO THE ALTERNATER HAD A BEAR SPOT AND WAS SPARKING ON A BRAKET THE WIREING HARNIS GOT HOT AND MELTED THE ELE TAPE THAT WAS ON IT. I REPLACED THE BROKE WIRE AND CHECHED THE OTHER WIRES EVERTHING APPERED OK. SO I HOOKED IT BACK UP AND THE BIG ORG, WIRE STARTED TO GET HOT AGAIN SO I UNPLUGGED THE BATT.

Bondo

Staff member
I JUST GOT THE BOAT IT WAS NOT RUNNING WHEN I BOUGHT IT. I GOT IT HOME HOOKED UP THE BATT THE BIG ORG WIRE THAT GOES TO THE ALTERNATER HAD A BEAR SPOT AND WAS SPARKING ON A BRAKET THE WIREING HARNIS GOT HOT AND MELTED THE ELE TAPE THAT WAS ON IT. I REPLACED THE BROKE WIRE AND CHECHED THE OTHER WIRES EVERTHING APPERED OK. SO I HOOKED IT BACK UP AND THE BIG ORG, WIRE STARTED TO GET HOT AGAIN SO I UNPLUGGED THE BATT.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a dead short in the alternator,....

OH. DON

Cadet
OK THANKS I GUESS WILL PULL THE ALTERNATER AND TAKE IT AND GET IT CHECKED. I,LL GET BACK AND LET YA THE OUTCOME.