Switch usages and fuse values

fjhpmh

Recruit
I have a 1979 Crestline Crusader 995 and the dash has been trashed. Does anyone have a picture that shows the switches and usages of each switch? Also the fuse values - amperages, types, and fast or slow blow? Thank you for your help, Jack

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
No pictures but it is not difficult to figure out what each switch controls. On a 1979 boat there probably just three or four switches. If one of them is a three position, that would be the NAV/ANC switch. Center = off. Up = NAV (both bow and stern lights on), Down = ANCHOR (only the stern light is on). If the NAV/ANC switch is a push-pull type switch, it works the same way as the three way toggle switch. If the boat has a bilge pump, one switch will be used for it. If there are some interior lights a separate switch usually operates those. Determine what accessories are installed and follow the wires to the switch that operates them. Or, turn on the switch to see what happens. Fuses protect the wiring, not the device those wires power so 7 or 10 amp fuses will work for most every circuit on the boat. If power to the console is via a larger red and black wire directly from the battery, there should be a 20 or 30 amp breaker or fuse close to the positive terminal of the battery.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a new 6 switch selector panel with integrated breakers from West Marine for about $50. It was for my 1986 Renken project boat, and it was definitely worth it.