Bilge pump switch

lou23

Cadet
I had the bilge pump go out on my 2001 Princecraft and I replaced it with a new pump. I disconnected the 2 wires from the old and connected the new. The pump runs but will not shut off. There is a dash switch for Manual/Automatic and it does not matter where I put it, the bilge runs continuously. I even disconnected the switch in the dash and it runs. I am assuming it is a faulty auto switch. That is a Water Witch brand. How can I check the switch to verify before I replace it ?

Thanks

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If its a mechanical/float switch: Check if something got under the switch and is preventing it from dropping the float all the way.

Had a loose screw get under one and made the pump run continuously.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Disconnect the switch,set your dva to ihms,flip the switch and see if it makes the meter change. Or set the meter to beep mode.

sidewalkman

Cadet
seems like a dumb thing, but is it a 3 way switch and is it an auto pump. 3 wires coming from an auto pump, you wire it into 3 way switch with constant on one side meaning you flip the switch up and the pump goes on, flip it down and it's relying on the internal pump switch, middle is off.