painting trolling motor casing

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am unsure if this is the correct area for this question but the old Minnkota trolling motor presently on this boat has black paint flaking off of it and there is gray primer I assume underneath it. Does anyone know if there are any spray paints I can use for this trolling motor case?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Hmmm I would try epoxy spray paint but, I think that might be powder coated from the factory. Be sure to scuff up the old paint with a 320 grit before you apply (or try to apply) new paint. I have used the epoxy black with good results and I have used Fusion paint with good results too (Cheaper!).

Star

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think that Minny paints their motor heads, they are injected plastic parts that can be replaced the previous owner just painted it with the wrong kind of paint.
It should all be striped and repainted with a plastic compatible paint system, or replaced.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I meant to say the motor casing on the above post. I have scraped all of the black flaking paint off of two of the motor casing sections so far. It was a hard paint of
some type. There is gray paint that looks like primer, perhaps baked on, beneath it. some smaller bare spots with nothing on them.. Is the Fusion paint you speak of an epoxy spray paint as well? Can it be found at home improvement or WalMart stores? Do I have to use and etching primer? I have some gray Rustoleum, I believe automotive primer but it is not an epoxy paint to my knowledge.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
I did mine motor casing with rust-oleum self etching primer after striping to bear pot metal. If you are in Salt water epoxy would be better. I am in fresh with mine. I topped it with 4 coats of enamel.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had since contact Minnkota on this and they said to use a primer and an acrylic paint. I assume auto primer is acceptable, I have some Rustoleum automobile primer, however I am unfamiliar with acrylic paints, if Rustoleum has them or which brands would work well in this application.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Self etching primer and the rattle can of your choice, don't over think it.