Turn a transom mount into a bow mount troller?

knightjake

Recruit
Hi! New here and have a strange/silly question. On a trolling motor, is it possible to rotate a transom type TM motor 180* so it can be used on the bow? I want to permanently rotate it so the control/hand tiller it backwards. Can I remove the transom mounting hardware and install it in a bow mount? (the kind u use a rope to lower motor)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Yes it can be done but remember that is allot of stress/torque up there so, the mount needs to be substantial so the motor does not rip itself off the boat.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I've done it to an old cheapie and it worked fine.

As noted your main issue will be altering the mount to clamp on the front (depending on the boat) instead of the transom. If its for an aluminum "Jon Boat" you'll want to affix plywood (inside, maybe also a 1/16 to 1/4 inch plate of aluminum outside if its a big trolling motor) to the hull to spread the load.

fishrdan

Admiral
Minn Kota makes tiler handle bow mount trolling motors, so yes, with the right mount you can put a transom TM in a bow mount,,,,,, but it would have to be the right type of mount.

I'd try to retain the transom mount hardware as locating the correct bow mount may be difficult.