battery question

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
my battery's are still going good for the most part(charging and trolling..there about 5 yr old) if I bought 2 new battery's now and don't install them till spring can I let them sit in a warm area till I put them in or do I have charge them over the winter? they do stay on the store shelves for some time with out charging.

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I would wait to buy new batteries until spring if you are not going to install them before that.

Your warrantee will be based on purchase date.

There's no good reason to buy the batteries just to set them on the shelf all winter.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove the old batteries and store them because you need to trade them in. Be sure to mark your wires as you remove them from the battery posts. Purchase the new batteries a few days before you plan to take the boat out. Be sure to charge each battery before installing and afterwards check the water in the cells. Always add water after a charge (not before). Use distilled water, it's very cheap and best for a battery. I just purchased a new Interstate cranking battery and I had to charge it 5 hours to bring it up to full charge plus it took a small amount of distilled water.