Please help with Electric trolling motor problem.

bmcduffy

Cadet
I have a 67 lb thrust motorguide trolling motor that cuts off after a couple of minutes use. It is not getting hot to touch. the cables are not hot. it just cuts off when I need to stay on the trolling motor for several minutes. after it cuts off I can wait about one minute and it will start again when e it for 5 or 10 minutes, then it will run for several more minutes and start all over again. the motor has not been used much but has been on the boat for several years.
do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to share with me.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Check all your connections. You don't want any loose or dirty. Did it just start doing this?

bmcduffy

Cadet
Actually, I just bought this from the original owner and they claim it has been going on for a long time. They have a 20amp breaker in the mix and I am curious about that. Most things I read say it should be about a 50 amp.

fishrdan

Admiral
They have a 20amp breaker in the mix and I am curious about that. Most things I read say it should be about a 50 amp.

BIngo, that 20 amp breaker is way too small.

A 50 amp breaker will work just fine. (A 67# TM will draw approximately 34 amps.)

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Yeah that 20 amp breaker is way too small. Also make sure you have at least 8 gauge wire going to it.