75 evinrude 70 HP charging

regal 182

Cadet
I have a 1975 Evinrude 70 hp.it was not charging the battery so I tested and replaced the rectifier now it charges at almost 18 volts w.o.t.I have read on some forums that that's normal I called an Evinrude service shop today and he said it was not normal.can somebody please tell me if this is supposed to charge like that or not

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Unless the engine is fitted with a regulator voltage can spike that high with no other accessories operating. You might try a good quality voltmeter to verify that the 18 volts you measured is really 18 volts. You generally don't run long enough at WOT to do any damage to the battery. Turn on some lights or other accessories if 18 volts bothers you.

regal 182

Cadet
Yes I used a volt meter and that's where it was.I just don't wanna burn up any electric parts..when I throttle down it drop and also when I turn on my dock lights it drops..sorry I'm new to outboards and this boat is new to me so I wanna make sure all is good..

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is common on older outboards without voltage regulators, and the mechanic you talked with should know that. While 18V is higher than most see, 17V isn't unusual, and won't hurt anything unless you run for long periods of time at 18Vs. As already said, turn something on and the voltage should drop, plus any of the electronics made now will shut down if they see voltage outside of their safe range