Old Outboard repair/restoration 1947 Firestone 3.5 HP 133-7-476

Justen

Recruit
Does anyone by chance know of a resource for a manual for an engine this old? Is it even possible to get parts for an engine like this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
While my info indicates Scott Atwater made Firestones in the 1950s I think you will find yours as well.Stroke is 1 3/4" bore is 2 1/8"Point gap is .020.
May use a Tillotson or Walbro carb. Fuel mix 1/2 pt. per gallon.
I think you'll find more help in the other outboards section. Also The Antique outboard club at www.aomci.org Just don't ask what it's worth.

Justen

Recruit
While my info indicates Scott Atwater made Firestones in the 1950s I think you will find yours as well.Stroke is 1 3/4" bore is 2 1/8"Point gap is .020.
May use a Tillotson or Walbro carb. Fuel mix 1/2 pt. per gallon.
I think you'll find more help in the other outboards section. Also The Antique outboard club at www.aomci.org Just don't ask what it's worth.

Sorry, I'm not super mechanically inclined. I only know basics. When you say fuel mix, what oil should I be mixing in to the gas? I appreciate the help!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Common 2-stroke oil similar to what is used in chain saws is fine. Modern oils will protect better than the oil from when the engine was made.

Marine grade 2-stroke oil tends to burn more completely than some others. Wal-Mart has it. Not hard to find.

If in doubt, use more oil. Makes the engine smoke and fouls the plug if taken to extreme. Inadequate oil will destroy the engine. You don't have to be short by much oil to cause rapid wearing and significantly ruduce the engine's life.