Can I moiunt my transducer in the hull of a almn. boat?

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a 18' Grumman fishing boat not too long ago.
Pulled mt chart plotter/fish finder off my old boat and thought, "it'd be nice to mount it in the bow so I can tell how deep it is before crunch time"!
On my sailboat I have a sonar puck just in front of the keel ad it works great, (epoxy mounted).
On my motorboat, I used a toilet bowl wax ring and mounted my transducer in the bilge, worked pretty well all season, (fiberglass hull).
I don't THINK it will pass through a almn. hull, but.....................
The transom is gonna get crowded, trolling motor, swim ladder, outboard, speedometer pick up, old fish finder transducer and speed paddle wheel, (that is going on the bow, by the E-lectric trolling motor- I've got it, might as well use it)!
Will it work IN? ON? the hull??
Tanks,
Joe
Half the fun of owning a boat is "customizing it"! Once you get it "just the way you want it", you have to sell it and start over!! (or is that just me)????

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many depth finder transducer pucks can be mounted inside the hull and epoxied in place. Dad's old bass tracker came this way from the family with the hummingbird flasher. after about 8 years the epoxy let go. we re-epoxied it. the key was no bubbles in the epoxy.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I would recommend you remove the old fish finder transducer and put the new one there.. not sure how much benefit or time you will save knowing your depth is getting skinny by putting the unit in the front of the boat as opposed the rear...personally, I would not install anything in the hull.. the pounding the unit is subject to in the hull area is far more severe than the stern.. if your considering a "thru hull" unit,, I would not recommend that either,,signal loss is unavoidable.. back to the depth alarm... lots of units have depth alarm capabilities,, set it for 6ft and your likely safe and get moved before you hit anything

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Half the posting I read on the web stated it was a nix idea, half said they use theirs and it works great?
I had the "puck" in my fiberglass boat, and I liked it not hanging off the back, it was "glued" in place with the wax toilet ring, (a trick I read on my sailboat site).
The Raymarine finder/gps I'm looking at (Dragon fly) has a transducer about a mile long and I can see it getting removed! (hence why I thinking in da boat)!!
The wax is "solid" so no sonar loss, and it acts like a cushion to absorb bangs to the hull, (which really you should try to avoid, unless your looking to "up-grade")!
I have the old one and will use it somehow, (heck I HAVE it)!
I'll wait til I get the trolling motor hanging off the rear, and then go from there.
I might try it in the hull and see what happens, (If I can get to me before next Friday).
One thing I did see that looks REAL intresting- "Stern Saver".
A block of plastic you expoy to the hull, so you don't drill into it, (Kinda late now, as I have quite a few screws in mine)! But, it looks like I should be able to make something close to that
Also looked at "Alumaducer" and that was intresting.
Thanks!
Joe