Wiring Up Fish finder Plus

Greym

Cadet
I had a new Yamaha 70HP outboard put on my open fishing boat last year and it has no extras just a key ignition. Coming from the wiring harness near the ignition are four wires which have covered connectors on them, they are obviously for dash board controls if you want them perhaps rev counter and speedometer.

My question is could I use these wires as a power source for a fish finder and perhaps a cigarette type plug that I could connect a bilge pump to on the few occasions need one. And If So how.

Thanks - Graham

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Wires in the engine harness are not intended to power accessories. They are, as you suggest, intended to power instruments only. The 12 volt line in the engine harness is not intended to carry high current which your "accessory plug" would likely have. As for the locator, the wires in the harness would likely be active only with the key ON. Therefore the locator could not be turned on with the key OFF. You should had a fuse block (one with a built in ground bus) at the console. Run a separate red and black wire (10 gauge is fine) from the battery to the fuse block. You then connect all accessories to the fuse block and insert fuses appropriate for the load. The red wire from the battery should have a 30 amp breaker within one foot of the battery.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
they sell plenty of different switch/fuse panels right here on Iboats to do it right.............

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If all you are running is a fish finder and a bilge pump you could just wire them directly to the battery with inline fuses.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
So that requires four wires running from the stern to the console. Why four (or more if other stuff is added later) when two will do. A fuse block properly installed is inexpensive and makes a much neater install and a heck of a lot easier to troubleshoot if a problem does arise.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sorry but I was thinking a boat with a 70hp and a console steering setup should already have a fuse block present somewhere. Unless it was stripped out.

Doesn't this thing already have running lights on it?