New Starter, New Solenoid but Starter won't engage; any advice?

jerzeyjen

Recruit
Have a 90hp Chrysler (1984). Had it running the other day after a dead battery issue. Bought and installed a brand new battery. Brought it back to the boat ramp and it wouldn't start. The starter would pop up a little and spin but wouldn't engage. Bought a new Starter. Tried again, same issue. Bought a new solenoid. Again, same issue. Have tested the cable between the solenoid and the starter (starter is getting 12volts so that's good too). Any other thing I can try? At wits end with my "new"boat. Very frustrated. Thanks for any help....

jerzeyjen

Recruit
Tested the new starter with direct battery connection. Pops right up. We are thinking it may have something to do with the "kill switch". When the put the kill switch in the proper position the starter won't do anything. When we put the kill switch to "kill" , this is when the starter just spins. Not sure what to do.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

The kill switch has nothing to do with the starter circuit; it shorts the ignition to kill the motor. Perhaps you mean the neutral safety switch?
Check every connection involved, at the starter, the relay/solenoid, and battery. If there is high resistance, the starter won't spin fast enough to pop the bendix gear up to engage the flywheel.

Bondo

Staff member
Have a 90hp Chrysler (1984). Had it running the other day after a dead battery issue. Bought and installed a brand new battery. Brought it back to the boat ramp and it wouldn't start. The starter would pop up a little and spin but wouldn't engage. Bought a new Starter. Tried again, same issue. Bought a new solenoid. Again, same issue. Have tested the cable between the solenoid and the starter (starter is getting 12volts so that's good too). Any other thing I can try? At wits end with my "new"boat. Very frustrated. Thanks for any help....

Ayuh,.... That wire needs to carry amperage as well as voltage,....

I once had 1 that showed 12v, but wouldn't start the starter,....

I jumpered it, 'n it took off,...

Pulled that wire apart, 'n found a corroded, Almost in 2 spot,...
It metered 12v, but the few strands left, couldn't carry the amperage,....