do i need 2 batterys or would 1 do

hiluxmike

Recruit
I have a 16 foot aluminum and I have one battery only for the motor a Honda 50 no alternator , the other for my gps, fish finder, led nav lights and horn some led intereal lights and one electric downrigger some time two, both batterys are 7 -8 years old now so I want new one both are group 27 I found a group 31, 900 marine cca 205 minutes and 115 amp hours . one battery is in the console and one is at the back of the boat so it would be nice just to have the one and more room at the back of the boat , there is no way to have room for 2 batterys in the console would this be safe just to have one battery b/c I have no idea or would I drain it and not start my boat ?

b20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Engine that size should have an emergency start cord. Just remove the engine cowl and you should find a pull cord somewhere, either wrapped up and tucked into a pocket somewhere under or in the engine cowl, or make up your own. There should be a removable cover on the flywheel and lugs on that flywheel to take a pull cord. If you can start the engine manually, then you can do away with the second battery.

B20....

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
A Honda 50 with electric start and no charging system?????

The Japanese manufacturers are into that... Few years back, when all the others were providing oil injection, power trim and cowl trim switches, Yamaha were doing engines they called 'CV', 'Customer Value'. They were engines without the things that by then we are expecting as 'standard' on an engine. They hit the market at about $1000 cheaper than anything else. The sales people made sure they didn't mention these 'reductions' and the public gobbed it up... Made it very difficult to compete unless you could get the customer in the shop and tell them that 'CV' meant 'Cheap version'... Managed to turn most of them around, but it appears Honda have now found this 'trick'.... Caveat Emptor...