depth finder needs coax splice

degerton

Cadet
I was given a boat that had a Hummingbird depth finder but the coaxial cable had been chewed through by some critters. Is there an easy fix? Can the coax cables be spliced together? I notice that on one end there are 2 wires plus ground wrapped in foil but the other side has one wire plus ground wrapped in folder. There was some kind of connector between these, but it is not usable. Can these be spliced without this connector?

Last edited:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
I've never tried to........ but the integrity of the splice would be critical........... If it were me I would either buy a new transducer or try and find a good used one on ebay.

If I had to try and repair it, I would solder each wire shrink tube each wire then shrink tube the whole area of repair.......the shielding cable around the primary wires can be twisted back together..................

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
You will have to cut back the piece just showing 2 wires until you have all of them. Then take your time and solder them back together sealing with heat shrink. This fix is quite common.