Fuel and Trim senders

Schnidly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got my tach replaced and it is working after my gages got fried from disconnecting the battery while the outboard motor was running to shutoff the starter motor which would not disengage due to it staying charged with 12volts. Stuck solenoid due to an old battery and a low charge. Anyways, when the battery was disconnected to shutoff the starter motor would my sending units for the fuel and the trim gages have gotten fried or would it be just the gages? Thank you

UncleWillie

Captain
It depends on how high the voltage went and where the senders were positioned at the time. Who knows?
You will know when you try to use the gages.

If you are really asking, "How do I troubleshoot my non-working Fuel and Trim Gages", just say so. :joyous:

Momentarily shorting the Fuel Gage sender wire to ground should cause the Fuel Gage to read FULL++.
Disconnecting it will simulate EMPTY.

Same drill with the Trim Sender lead.
I believe it will be Short = DOWN and Open = UP.

Schnidly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Uncle Willie, but I did touch the send wire to ground with a jumper and nothing on the gage moved, I did not disconnect the sender wire however because touching it to ground did nothing. I have a fuel gage and a trim gage coming this week I hope.

UncleWillie

Captain
In that case the gages are probably gone.
The sender are just variable resistors and much more robust compared to the gages.
The senders are likely good.

If a meter on the senders shows some middle resistance and something other than Zero (Trim UP) or Infinite Ohms, They should be OK!