Battery terminal issue

Sniperj78

Recruit
I winterized my boat on the weekend and I came across an issue that I've never had before. I went to remove the battery and I couldn't get the negative-side nut off the bolt. At first I thought it was seized on, but the battery is only 4 months and there is no corrosion or acid build-up so I figured it's not that. I finally got it to turn after I switched from a quick adjust wrench to a socket set. A few cranks later I noticed that the nut hadn't moved and the whole bolt/terminal was spinning. Anyone out there ever have this happen and how did you get the nut off?

Sniperj78

Recruit
I guess what I am describing is the threaded bolt that sticks up out of the battery that you place the ground wires on and screw a nut down on. If I ever get this off I will be replacing them with wing nuts to hand tightened. So, 2nd question then - if this bolt is spinning in place is the battery doomed?

UncleWillie

Captain
If the top stud is spinning it will never be the same.
Get a Nut Splitter and split the nut before yo do any more damage.
If you have a Dremel tool, a cut off wheel will split it.

Once you get the cables Off, there are stud adapters available that mount on the big battery posts that will make new stud available.
But use a real nut with a lock-washer to secure the cables. No Wingnuts.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe return that battery to where you bought it....might still have some warranty value....the terminals aren't supposed to break loose like that....poor manufacture....if it's Auto Zone or Advance Auto or similar they're usually pretty good about battery warranties...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
we had a thread just like this one last year... if you don't also have other lugs on the battery, then you really need a new battery..... You MIGHT get decent service out of it if you can keep it from getting corrosion around the head of the bolt inside the lead BUT I wouldn't want to count on it as my only battery.

Don't use a dremel or other power tool to cut the nut... batteries produce hydrogen gas and while it is not very likely the chance of the battery blowing up and blasting your face with acid is something to avoid.... get a nut splitter as mentioned above

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
If I ever get this off I will be replacing them with wing nuts to hand tightened.

That is one thing you don't want to do... You might get away with it, but the more likely result is that temperature variations will cause it to loosen up, leaving you sit with an engine that won't start.

oldjeep

Admiral
That is one thing you don't want to do... You might get away with it, but the more likely result is that temperature variations will cause it to loosen up, leaving you sit with an engine that won't start.

Huh? Are you saying that there is something about a wing nut that does not allow it to be tightened to the same tightness as a nut? You're not supposed to be putting 100 ft lbs on the battery connection.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You need to use a nylon insert lock nut. Wing nuts vibrate loose.

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Wing nuts are fine if you have gorrilla fingers. Whats tight enough? 10 ft lb? 20? Wing nut has what, 3/4 inch from center on each side. So multiply 10 ft lb X 18, and you get 180 lb of force on the wing nut to get the 10 ft lb. Don't know about you, but OWCH!

With a regular nut, and a 6 inch wrench, thats only 20 lb of pressure on the end of the wrench. My kids can do that.

And being careful about hydrogen - yup. Only thing is that it does not produce hydrogen ( and O2! ) unless it is being charged. SO you should be safe there.
In an enclosed space, a batttery + spark can explode. Had one do that under the hood of my Toyota Landcruiser. Something went wonky inside the battery. Big bang that blew the top of the battery off, the H and O2 + internal battery issue blew the top of the battery off, and even bent a little sheet metal. Good thing it happened with a closed hood.

Cheers!

Blaine

UncleWillie

Captain
...And being careful about hydrogen - yup. Only thing is that it does not produce hydrogen ( and O2! ) unless it is being charged. SO you should be safe there... In an enclosed space, a battery + spark can explode. ...

+1
If you need to Dremel it off an want to as safe as possible, Remove the battery caps for a few minutes to release and Hydrogen that may be in there.
The Hydrogen gas will float up into the air just like the Hindenburg. Then replace the caps.
If it is not a windy day, use a portable fan to keep the air moving. It can get ugly!

Bad Battery2.jpg

Wing Nuts are an option only if you have strong fingers and there is a lock washer under them. The lock washer is Not an option.
Otherwise you may Hand Tighten them, only later to find them Finger Loose.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Option # 3 ....

Cut a screwdriver slot across the top of the stud.
Use a screwdriver to stop the stud from turning while you wrench on the Nut.

And # 4 ....
If the stud is long enough, place 2 nuts on the stud above the stubborn Nut and lock/jamb them together.
Put a wrench on the Upper Nut Only, while torquing the stubborn one below.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Huh? Are you saying that there is something about a wing nut that does not allow it to be tightened to the same tightness as a nut? You're not supposed to be putting 100 ft lbs on the battery connection.

capnhandy beat me to it, but about the MOST you can put on a regular wing nut by hand is 5-8 ft/lb of torque. Any more and your skin would actually split. Depends on manufacturer, but most screw type terminal posts require around 15 ft/lb of torque. 5-8, best case, will cause problems.

(and to be technically correct, I have no problem with wing nuts. Use them on my battery terminals also. Just use a crescent wrench to tighten them down.)

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you have a battery disconnect switch, there really is no need for a wing nut. And if you need a tool anyway to properly tighten a wingnut, why not use a nut with a nylon locking insert?

DonS was in the stainless steel nylon locknut camp too. He hated wing nuts.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Wing nuts are no longer ABYC compliant. Most batteries do not come with them anymore,the come with nuts. Don't throw away the nuts,and use your wing nuts. This is a copy from Ed Sherman, one of the creators of the abyc standard. I can hear people out in the boatyard in the early stages of getting their boats ready for the upcoming season. These are sweet sounds after the winter we’ve had! With the sound of Spring come thoughts of common mistakes boat owner’s make with their prep, most often without even knowing it. In the photo above, we see one that even the boat builder messed up on because the photograph is of a new boat. The wing nuts holding the cables to the battery clamps are now not compliant with the latest version of ABYC Standard E-10. The Standard states that for cable 6AWG or larger, wing nuts are no longer allowed. These need to be replaced with some hex nuts and lock washers. I’m often asked why. Simple, the wings get loose and cause heating and even electrical arcing at the battery posts. As I’ve said here many times before, too much heat and fires get started. This is an easy fix and should be a simple upgrade as a part of your Spring get ready. You may also like: Electronics Installation Considerations Rapid Anode Consumption, Blistering Bottom Paint Kids Don't Float Has Your Boat Bitten You Yet? Hose Clamps and Comments IGNITION PROTECTION, YES IT’S IMPORTANT Ignition Protection, Yes It’s Important

robert graham

Admiral
For years I've used the stainless steel wing nuts...tighten them good with a pair of pliers...never a problem. Of course a stainless hex nut will work fine if you use a wrench to tighten. Nothing inherently bad about a wing nut...except that they might lead someone to believe that finger tight is sufficient....