Replace a perfectly good battery?

robert graham

Admiral
I had Auto Zone check my perfectly good 5-1/2 year old boat starting battery today and it checked out fine.....but I bought a new one anyway for $95....several folks including my son said they thought it was dumb to replace a "perfectly good" battery....5-1/2 years is pretty good for a battery and I don't want the thing to puke 50 miles down the river somewhere.....What you guys think?....

tpenfield

Staff member
I only have 8 years on one of my batteries . . . Of course, now that I said that, watch is go over the hill on me. :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think it was a good move. Things like that bite you in the behind. On the other hand, if you didn't have it tested, it would probably last for another 3 years. Some how inanimate objects know it's time to break after you establish confidence in them. :eek:

robert graham

Admiral
Guess it might come down to where you're boating....if you're on a 5 acre farm pond then it might not matter, but we go to some pretty darn remote areas and camp on the boat....please no dead battery!....

NYBo

Admiral
If you only have one battery on the boat and no way to start your motor with a pull-cord, you did the prudent thing, IMO.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
That's my policy. Replace after 5 years. $20 per year for peace of mind. I'd never go out without 2 batteries either. I suppose that's $40 per year, but still worth it. - Grandad

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So why did you pull the battery out and get it tested? Were you noticing issues or just figured 5 1/2 years was long enough? If you were noticing issues, then good move. If you were not noticing issues, good move.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I've had more issues with new batteries, vs a battery that made it through the first 6 months, or 6 years.

robert graham

Admiral
So why did you pull the battery out and get it tested? Were you noticing issues or just figured 5 1/2 years was long enough? If you were noticing issues, then good move. If you were not noticing issues, good move.
I keep the battery in my shop when it's not in the boat...put it on a 2 amp charge overnight about once a month....but I noticed the date of manufacture on the side showing March 2009....no problems with the battery and Auto Zone load tested it and it was fine. So for the sake a peace of mind I bought a new one....left a few chips on the table/amps in the battery, so to speak.....

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
You could argue that the old battery was probably better made than the new one. Used to be that batteries would have a 4 or maybe 5 year warranty. Try to find one today that gives more than 3 years.

If you only have a single battery you should have a way to start the motor without it. You should also exercise this feature periodically. It is much better to know how to actually do it and know that it will really work, than to say "well I read in the manual once that I should be able to do this".

You also need to know if you personally can do it. Pull starting a 300hp outboard is not something everyone can do. The layout of your particular boat/engine(s) may also prevent you from being able to manually start the motor(s) (e.g. not enough clear room to get a good pull).

robert graham

Admiral
There is a rope for starting this C90 Yamaha but I've never tried it....especially since it requires removal of the upper cowling and flywheel cover....maybe I should try to master this, in case of a faulty battery/starting system.....just haven't got around to it yet....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have had new batteries die in 3 months, and another last 17 years. If you felt you needed to change it, then change it. I am a belts and suspenders guy. my boat has 2 house batteries and a starting battery. On smaller boats, I have a recoil starter.