Fuel Management with Lowrance LMS-522C

52Alumacraft

Cadet
My LMS-522C is old technology now but I don't have any plans to update. I just installed a NMEA2000 network in my boat and I am getting fuel rate and other data from my 2008 Yamaha F90.

What I really want is to know how much fuel is left in my tank at any given time. I have read a lot about using Fuel Management with the newer Lowrance products but have yet to find anything about this function on the older LMS-522 - 527 type sonars. I understand that will WILL NOT work WITHOUT an EP-85R storage device (120-073) on the network. As it sits now I can see the screen where you add fuel, reset, etc but I don't see a screen that will show me how much fuel I have used or have left. I assume that shows up when the EP-85R is installed.

Does (or did) anyone have this working with an older Lowrance Sonar? I will invest in the EP-85R if it will give me this function but I hate to fork over another $100 if my old sonar is not up to the task.

jhebert

Ensign
The EP-85R Data Storage Device is described in its support documentation written in 2007 as working with a Lowrance LMS-525cDF chart plotter. Whether it would work with an LMS-522C is not known.

For more information about the EP-85R and problems with using it with various different Lowrance chart plotters, see

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003608.html

and

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post...-update-6968952?pid=1284083085#post1284083085

Based on the accounts of problems with incompatible firmware versions, success at using an EP-85R with very old versions of chart plotters may depend upon getting the proper firmware revision in the EP-85R. I suggest proceeding with caution. Buy the EP-85R from a retailer who will permit you to return it if you cannot get it to work with your chart plotter.

52Alumacraft

Cadet
Thank you for the EP-85R info, that was helpful. Sounds like that setup can be very finicky. Good advice about ordering from a place that will take it back.