converter breaker issue

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Im having a slight problem. At times when I turn on the converter switch, I can hear a slight humming coming from the breaker switch, it does go away but the last time I left the boat, I turned the converter switch on, came back to the boat a week later and noticed that the switch must have tripped somehow. I took the breaker panel off to check for loose wiring and everything was tight, no loose wires. Do you know what I could check for and where I might get a replacement breaker? It times it seems to trip the breaker. I just recently installed a new converter and this when it happened.

NYBo

Admiral
Does the new converter consume more power than the old one?

NYBo

Admiral
What is the rating on the converter and on the breaker? You may need a larger capacity breaker and matching wiring to go with it. Also be aware that each time a breaker trips, it loses a tiny bit of its capacity.

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Got it taken care of. I installed a 40 amp converter, and then took the breaker switch off to check what the amp rating was......it was a 5 amp breaker...duhhh,,,,lol

NYBo

Admiral
Yeah, that would do it! Just make sure the wiring is heavy enough for that load. You need the breaker to be the weakest link.