Stereo wiring.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I am at the point where I want to install a new stereo on the boat. I have another thread on installing an hour meter which got me thinking of this.

How would you want the power supply to the stereo hooked up?

Is it a problem having it hooked directly to the battery independent of the ignition key?

That way I can listen to it when the keys are not in the ignition, and the engine is completely off. Also, no power to the ignition coil, which is also a bennie. This would be nice when anchored, and getting a sun tan. :D

shamrok911

Recruit
P/O of my 31 year old boat did that; spliced the constant & switched 12v+ together, ran it back to the battery along with the ground. All the same wire color (red). With no fuses.

I reran the two positive wires back to the ignition switch with appropriate in-line fuses so that the radio comes on with the key turned to "Accessory" and when the boat engine is running. But I have a 4 position ignition switch, sounds like you do not. Ground was run back to the battery.

What you're describing would seem like a PITA to me; have to disconnect wires from the battery every time you're not on the boat or drain the battery/risk fire etc. At the very least you would have to fuse the positive wires and pull those, for the same reason.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I suppose I could splice off the incoming 12v+ line to the ignition key, and install a simple toggle w/LED on the dash to turn the power off separate of the ignition. That way it has a positive "off" when not in use.

sportrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have mine ran from the fuse block on the constant power side for the reasons you stated, I like to be able to have the radio on with the key off or out all together. battery draw is a non issue to me, I keep the battery on a tender while at home and it's always fully charged before the boat leaves the driveway.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
I like all auxillary devices to be ran through a switch............

NYBo

Admiral
The memory circuit draws little power, so I would hook it to constant power. The main power lead for the stereo in my boat is also hooked up to constant power as there is no "accessory" position on my ignition switch. If it did, I would probably hook it up there as it is a low-end unit that doesn't draw much juice. Proper fuses on both lines are a must, regardless of how you connect it.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
What I did was replace my switch panel with a bigger one ( if you don't have one then you can add one for $30. I flip a switch and click the stereo power. Works great. I did it on my old boats (2) I sold this past spring and the new owners said that was great considering what the boats were.