poping fuse

flymaster

Cadet
Hi I got 1997 3.0lx boat has been reunning fine until today. I was sitting at dock in idle all of a suden my gauges started jumping around
and the boat stalled. When I tried to start I got nothing found out blow the ingniton fuse. I replaced with new fuse and tried to start it it cranked for
2 seconds and blew the fuse again. I tried to trace wires back to see if they where lose I could not find anything I even replaced the ingniton switch
it did the same thing. This past spring I replaced the alternator,new module,cap plugs,rotor,battery,wires. boat ran exclent.
Now this any........ Ideas on where to check for a short or somthing.

64osby

Admiral
Disconnect everything on that circuit. Start connecting one thing at a time. Test with meter or get a bunch of spare fuses. When the fuse blows or the meter spikes on one particular item that's the culprit.

flymaster

Cadet
Could a wet alternator cause this problem??? My engine hatch was not all the way on the night before I used it and it rained like hell

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
if it doesn't blow the fuse until you crank it sounds like the problem is between the switch and the starter solenoid or in the solenoid or starter.

Mike

flymaster

Cadet
just tested my alternator I am reading 14.39 then I checked battery got almost same reading. Is my alternator over charging when the motor is running?
When boat is off I get 12.35 from battery and same from alternator. This is what I think is blowing my fuse? I also saw a puff of white smoke from the main ground
to the engine.

NYBo

Admiral
Those voltages are about right. Besides, it's amperage that blows fuses. You have a connection problem at the main engine ground, and that could be the problem.