Auto Pilot for my 1988 Shamrock 20 PH

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at this Raymarine unit http://www.iboats.com/Raymarine-EV-2...iew_id.1132283 My steering wheel has a single nut for removal and I have an old A65 with the DSM25. I'm looking for info from someone who knows this Evolution system or had experience with installing it.

Will it work on its own without the A65 (providing it wont interface with the old A65) Can I just use the control unit to set a heading and use everything in the above link to add auto pilot? Do I need anything else from Raymarine if it does interface with my old A65? I have a standard cable driven rudder.

Looking for info as my experience with my old A65 is there are always some hidden part that's needed with Raymarine electronics. If this is truly an out of the box solution (I don't need a new GPS unit ext) I think its what I'm going with unless someone has something similar they recommend over this using that will retro fit my boat.

Thanks
Charlie

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
I have an older sport pilot +. Looks almost like the one your looking at. Its all in the box. Mounts behind your steering wheel and actually turns the wheel. Mine is on its third boat and works great. Only thing you might need is the cable to connect to your GPS and that is from your GPS manufacturer not Raymarine.

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So will it fit over the single post that my wheel sits on top of the dash? There is no place underneath to put it. It would have to sit where the steering wheel is then the steering wheel on top of it. The nut looks like 3/4" that holds the steering wheel down. Are all of these the same size or would I need to order a specific size that will fit my steering wheel post?

Bondo

Staff member
So will it fit over the single post that my wheel sits on top of the dash? There is no place underneath to put it. It would have to sit where the steering wheel is then the steering wheel on top of it. The nut looks like 3/4" that holds the steering wheel down. Are all of these the same size or would I need to order a specific size that will fit my steering wheel post?

Ayuh,.... It mounts under the wheel, spacin' the wheel out, the depth of the unit,....

Adapters oughta be included,....