Motor stays running.

halfpint1

Seaman Apprentice
Our 2001 Mercury 50hp motor will not turn off with the key or the kill switch, I had to remove the fuel line in order for it to stop. The only thing I did recently was replace the battery(the old one was stolen) I'm pretty sure the wires are hooked up right but I could be wrong since everything was just tossed in the transom when they stole the other battery. I visually checked the wires but didn't see any that may have been stretched or torn during the theft so now I don't know what could be happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Our 2001 Mercury 50hp motor will not turn off with the key or the kill switch, I had to remove the fuel line in order for it to stop. The only thing I did recently was replace the battery(the old one was stolen) I'm pretty sure the wires are hooked up right but I could be wrong since everything was just tossed in the transom when they stole the other battery. I visually checked the wires but didn't see any that may have been stretched or torn during the theft so now I don't know what could be happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

An outboard is turned off by applying a ground to the magneto. Both the ignition switch and the kill switch does this. Check for a ground wire that is broken or has a bad connection.