Battery connection.

benzy550

Recruit
Good afternoon,
My boat have 2 batteries, one is for engine and all accessories (navigation lights, radio, utility light, blower, etc.), second one is only for strolling motor but i don't use trolling motor. the boat have a Blue Sea 5026 fuse box with 12 circuits, 4 space still empty, a battery charger with 2 banks.
I would like to add some interior led light strip, and one spreader led lights, will connect a spreader light to all round light, and to move to 2nd battery.
Do I have to add 2nd fuse box, run wire from 2nd battery to fuse box and connect all light strip, spreader light to 2nd battery.
Please give me some advise,
Thank you very much.

alldodge

Staff member
Good afternoon,
My boat have 2 batteries, one is for engine and all accessories (navigation lights, radio, utility light, blower, etc.), second one is only for strolling motor but i don't use trolling motor. the boat have a Blue Sea 5026 fuse box with 12 circuits, 4 space still empty, a battery charger with 2 banks.
I would like to add some interior led light strip, and one spreader led lights, will connect a spreader light to all round light, and to move to 2nd battery.
Do I have to add 2nd fuse box, run wire from 2nd battery to fuse box and connect all light strip, spreader light to 2nd battery.
Please give me some advise,
Thank you very much.

Just add a circuit or two to your Blue Sea fuse panel. Check the amperage rating of the lights your going to add and use a fuse rated for the circuits. Led lights don't draw much current so wire size shouldn't need any more then 14AWG wire.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I agree with AllDodge, if you have the room to add the circuits, do so. If you're looking to combine the 2 batteries (and up your amperage).. Parallel connection (series will turn it into 24v!). If that's what your asking, I would suggest 10g solid copper (insulated) wire (bigger sometimes is better..). You can pick that up at any hardware store.
I will say if all you're doing is adding some LED lighting, 14g is fine, but you in the future decide to add something with some real draw, you'll be happy you went with bigger wire.

benzy550

Recruit
If i do parallel connection, will get same voltage but double amperage. Is it good or bad?
What about battery charger if i do parallel connection?
Thanks for fast reply.

Last edited:
LED spreader lights should only draw a minimal amperage and that's one advantage of having them but I would have them on a separate switch. Mine draw about .85A so it's really low and 2 can run off of a 12VDC battery all night long. Try that with a halogen! :) The LEDs on my boat - 2 in front and 2 in back are on a separate and single front to back switch. If you have any other questions regarding LED lights just hit me up and I will answer the best I can.