Minn Kota Endura 30 stopped turning

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

It stopped turning.

Removed prop, opened 2 long bolts - no sign of water, no burnt smell, looks good.

Carbon brushes about 1/2''.

12 Volts goes to brushes - does it mean switch is good????.

What can it be?

Tnx.

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to revive this old post.
Maybe someone drop the idea.
The motor test good , but is dead....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your thread, you can reopen it at any time.

How about the ground wire and connection to the motor?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Aren't there 2 wires to the motor? They switch between 12V and ground for forward and reverse.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Having 12 volts at the brushes is one thing, having continuity through the motor winding's it a totally different thing. Sounds like the motor winding's are open. Check that you have continuity through the winding's on the motor. JMHO

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class
"Aren't there 2 wires to the motor? They switch between 12V and ground for forward and reverse. "

There is black wire that goes to one graphite brush. It is negative when handle switch is FORWARD.
There is red wire that goes to another graphite brush. It is positive when handle switch is FORWARD.
Polarity switches when handle switch is in REVERSE.
There is white wire that goes to epoxy block inside the motor housing.
There is yellow wire that goes to epoxy block too, then comes back to the same brush as red wire.

Last edited:

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class
"Having 12 volts at the brushes is one thing, having continuity through the motor winding's it a totally different thing. Sounds like the motor winding's are open. Check that you have continuity through the winding's on the motor. JMHO "

Are you talking about wiring on the rotor?
What is the proper way to check it?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
"Having 12 volts at the brushes is one thing, having continuity through the motor winding's it a totally different thing. Sounds like the motor winding's are open. Check that you have continuity through the winding's on the motor. JMHO "

Are you talking about wiring on the rotor?
What is the proper way to check it?

Yes the rotor windings create the magnetic field to work against the magnets surrounding the rotor to spin. So make sure the rotor windings are good and that 12 voltage is getting to those windings. If the 12 volts is getting to the windings and the windings are good but motor doesn't run, you have some bad magnets on the casing. Which really doesn't sound like a plausiable condition, but there is no other possibility.

I am thinking that the rotor commutator needs cleaned and polished so that the voltage is transferred to the rotor windings myself. WIth the rotor having so many windings all around the armiture, the only way the motor wouldn' t run is for all those windings to be burnt open. Again that really doesn't seem like a plausible condition, but there really isn't many other options IF you do have 12 volts at the brushes. But not being there and testing things myself, these are only wild guesses.

Remember you have to have two brushes make a complete circuit with the copper finger on the rotor commutator to work. Reading 12 volts from one brush to the battery ground doesn't mean you have everything correct. The second brush has to also be working to complte the circuit. So make sure you are reading via at last two opposing brushes for verification. JMHO

Last edited:

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class
12 V is between 2 brushes.

I watched rotor tests on Utube and copied them.
180 degrees test and test between each commutator plate all show the same 2.5 ohms what is minimal reading on my tester on lowest ohm setting.
NO shorts to rotor body.

I put rotor onto drill press and polished commutator with 600 paper.
Cleaned grooves between plates.

After that put motor together and tried.
It turned one turn and died again.

?????

I was looking for replacement rotor, looks like they are around $40, but everybody is out.
Any good place to buy it?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
12 V is between 2 brushes.

I watched rotor tests on Utube and copied them.
180 degrees test and test between each commutator plate all show the same 2.5 ohms what is minimal reading on my tester on lowest ohm setting.
NO shorts to rotor body.

I put rotor onto drill press and polished commutator with 600 paper.
Cleaned grooves between plates.

After that put motor together and tried.
It turned one turn and died again.

?????

I was looking for replacement rotor, looks like they are around $40, but everybody is out.
Any good place to buy it?

Sounds like you have one or more opened winding in the armature. That is why it turn some and stopped again. If you turn it pass the opened winding, it could turn a little more. Did you ohm out every pair of commutator fingers? I can't understand how all of them read correct but stopped after a turn. :noidea:

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely no open winding.
Everything looks perfect in this motor, but it does not work.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Definitely no open winding.
Everything looks perfect in this motor, but it does not work.

andreipou, I totally understand what you are saying, but that really doesn't make sense as to why the motor doesn't run. If you have the time, take some good jumper wires that can handle the current and jump them straight to the brushes from the battery and see if the motor will run. Because it just doesn't make any sense for not to run if the brushes are good and the windings as well. It should be spinning like a top. Maybe there is a cold or corroded connection somewhere. That would show 12 volts but not pass the current. :noidea:

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class
This sounds as a good idea.
I will try it this weekend when I get back.