Placement for depth finder

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 89 Ranger bass boat that I've upgraded to a newer depth finder and put the sensor in the same location as the previous owner had it, on the back of the boat on the drivers side, pretty much how the manual showed it. I notice that I get a decent sized rooster tail on that side of the boat that I'm confident is from the sensor. Is this normal? Should I have went with the in hull reciever instead? I also notice that at speeds higher than 30MPH it doesn't even pick up any type of fish, not sure it that is also normal.

UncleWillie

Captain
The rooster tail is caused by either the transducer is too far into the water, or the hole in the mounting bracket is missing the rubber plug.

Do not expect to see fish at any speed faster than No Wake. ~5mph.
There are not too many fish that can even catch the bait at 30mph.;)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I had a Humminbird transducer that did exactly this. The newer versions have a rubber plug that fits into the transducer and fills a gap created by the little arms that attach the transducer to the mounting bracket. I wrote Humminbird to get a plug, and they sent me a new mount of a different design that addresses this problem. No more rooster tail!

A short term fix might be to wrap some electrical tape around the 'ducer bracket, so it doesn't catch water.

Good luck!

brusk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a Humminbird transducer that did exactly this. The newer versions have a rubber plug that fits into the transducer and fills a gap created by the little arms that attach the transducer to the mounting bracket. I wrote Humminbird to get a plug, and they sent me a new mount of a different design that addresses this problem. No more rooster tail!

A short term fix might be to wrap some electrical tape around the 'ducer bracket, so it doesn't catch water.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll have to write Hummingbird to see what they have. I bought the depth find about 4 years ago so who knows maybe I had just missed it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Mine was over a year old (and it was an older model when I got it), and they still helped me out. I was pretty impressed. Hope you have similar luck!