tilt an trim works when I jump the green and blue wire but not otherwise

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
1995 Force 40hp ........ My relays click when I try to use trim. I have traced the wires with a test light an I got 12 volts but no 12 volts past the relays. SO I unhooked the wires past the relays and jumped the wire an tilt an trim works. I ordered two relays even though I thought it odd up and down does not work. I put the new relays on & still does not work. I cleaned every ground an hot wire in the equation. Still no trim. However, I do hear it "click" at the relays still.

I have not checked the harness female end of the relays. I heard they do not go bad often but mostly I do not know how to test them.
I also have not checked the control box as I get 12 volts past that so I did not think I needed to

Any ideas?

Last edited:
relays are clicking and you are reading 12v+ at the relays.
Its a real simple circuit. first set your meter to ohms then remove the blue and green wires that go to the motor. Ohm the relay side to battery dc negative. Both should ohm low to dc - (if they don't follow large black wire at relays to find where its connected to the block). P.s do not use the trim switch while testing for ohms.

Set meter to volts then put one probe on the relay terminal that had the trim motor blue wire attached. Get someone to press the up button. Volt meter should read 12v. If it doesn't then test the large red wire at the relay for 12v (if the red is not 12v then check inline fuse near starter solenoid)

repeat above test for the green but use the down button.

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
I get 12 volts to the male end of the relay plug but I am sorry I dont quite understand your paragraph on OHMs in regards to where to touch my red an black probe ends.

There is no other hardware to replace except the female end of the relays so I ordered two even though I find it odd both are bad.

find the 2 wires that go to the tilt motor. They should have a plug connector outside of the box. Unplug then put the red probe into one of the connections on the box side then put the black probe on the battery negative or a clean piece of metal on the engine block. You should read 0V. test the next terminal on the connector that should also read 0v. Next put one probe in each connector and get someone to press the button. you should now read 12v if not put leads back to one on the battery and one in on the connect and get someone to press the button and see if either goes to 12v
post back results

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
********They should have a plug connector outside of the box. Unplug then put the red probe into one of the connections on the box side then put the black probe on the battery negative or a clean piece of metal on the engine block. You should read 0V. test the next terminal on the connector that should also read 0v.

check............... I performed your test both before, and after the box. Keep in mind i interpret "the box" as the relays. I got 0v

*********Next put one probe in each connector and get someone to press the button. you should now read 12v

after box / relay, on trim tilt motor side, close to fuel pump.................. nothing
before box / relay, under carb, next to starter..................................... I get readings but not 12v. fluctuates an is minimal

*********if not put leads back to one on the battery and one in on the connect and get someone to press the button and see if either goes to 12v

after box / relay, on trim tilt motor side, close to fuel pump............ nothing
before box / relay, under carb, next to starter..................................... check I get 12 v

============================================

Please note I recieved my new relays male, and new harness female and change it out prior to doing your test and also reverted back to old ones an did your test again. I also cleaned the grounds where it goes to the engine block. I jumped the wires closest to trim tilt motor once more to make sure it goes up an down and it does.

Last edited:
odd... from the readings you are posting it sounds like the relays are not changing state (clicking). Find the small red wire that goes from the relays to the trim switch and test for voltage then with red probe on the small green wire that's should be connected to terminal 86 on relay and black probe on a ground wire get some one to press the down switch. It should go to 12v when the switch/button is pushed. (there are lots of different designs so the small red wire may have a inline fuse or may come off the ignition switch)

pictures of the relays/wiring would be helpful

Last edited:

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
just a thought , check to see if both relays are energizing at the same time, if so tilt switch or wiring are shorted. good luck:joyous:

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I took a few days break from the problem. Im fresh an ready to go again now. Anyways, here are the pictures you asked for an I will try what "tblshur" said to do an report back

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Attachments

• photo208586.JPG
    photo208586.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo208587.JPG
    photo208587.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 1

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice