Minn kota endura 30 problem

barfly5432

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought used at garage sale for $5. In forward it goes backward and vice versa. Yes I am sure positive is on positive and neg on neg. This guy told me he opens it periodically to maintain it. Could he have switched something? Also, if he did switch something can I just go red to black?

fishrdan

Admiral
He could have switched the + and - inside the motor cowl. (This is just a DC motor so if the wires are switched, it will run backwards.)

Check to see if he flipped the head around 180*. Some people do this to make the TM work at the bow, but when placed on the transom the TM runs backwards. The tiller handle should be on the opposite end from the prop.

Lastly, if he dissasembled the motor and flipped the magnet housing 180*, the motor would run backwards. If this is the case, flip the magnet housing over and it will run properly.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The rotary switch inside the top housing (that the tiller handle attaches to) has wire colours marked on it at each of the terminals - check the wires are all in the correct places. Should be 4 wires from the motor and two out to power.