Correct Way to Use Crimp Tool?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Haven't had a crimp connection fail yet, but, still not sure of correct way to use tool. My tool is one of those ratcheting types with two "jaws" for each wire size.

The "jaws" on the side where the color coding dots are located look like they are designed to squeeze a round or semi-round shape. The "jaws" on the other side look like they are designed to squeeze almost a flat shape.

It looks like the "jaws" on the color coded side are designed to squeeze the insulation of the connector to the insulation of the wire and the other jaws are designed to actually crimp the connector onto the stripped section of wire. So, I would insert the connector in the tool so the stripped wire would be inserted from the side with the color coding dots. That's the way it seems to work best.

Do I have it right?

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My crimper is nowhere near that fancy. But, if you're getting a good electrical connection and a solid mechanical connection then I would not worry about it.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Most crimping tools will have two distinct crimping area's........ like you describe the egg shaped opening is for insulated terminals and the other should be round with a tang protruding to the center, that is for non insulated terminals.

With that being said, I use the non insulated area for all my crimping insulated or not........ It makes a much better mechanical connection, the only difference when using the non insulated part is it will cause a small protrusion through the terminal insulation....... so additional insulating may be required.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
If a picture is worth 1000 words then maybe a blurred picture is worth 500 or so words. Attached are photos of my tool. The way it's set up, both sets of "jaws" are (apparently) designed to work together.

DCP_0867.JPG DCP_0868.JPG

UncleWillie

Captain
... I use the non insulated area for all my crimping insulated or not........ It makes a much better mechanical connection, the only difference when using the non insulated part is it will cause a small protrusion through the terminal insulation....... so additional insulating may be required.

I have found that after crimping and deforming the insulating sleeve; applying a heat gun to the plastic sleeve makes it act a lot like heat shrink tubing and it returns to its original round profile.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
IMO these are about the best for a good solid connection that does not mash the connector flat..........you can find the same style cheaper.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I have found that after crimping and deforming the insulating sleeve; applying a heat gun to the plastic sleeve makes it act a lot like heat shrink tubing and it returns to its original round profile.

Never had much luck doing that, my crimper will almost always cut the plastic slightly. The dimple it creates is also sharp enough it isn't returning back to its original... What I do for connections I want to look really nice is just cover the crimp in heat shrink tubing. Better than heat shrink connectors for the above reason.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just use the Ancor heat shrink connectors and the Ancor crimp tool. There definitely is a correct direction to have the connector in the crimp tool. The plastic on the Ancor connectors never gets cut.