Evinrude Tiller Non electric start conversion to electric start

Thornes1

Cadet
Has anyone had experience converting a non electric start to an electric start 1985 Evinrude 25hp. I have acquired a parts motor that has everything I need, I can easily transfer all of the components from it to mine, but im not sure if I have to worry about timing and maybe other things im not sure about that might damage my existing motor.. any tricks to removing the flywheel without the proper tool? trying to do this on a budget without having to bring it to a mechanic $

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
any tricks to removing the flywheel without the proper tool?

You can usually rent or borrow the puller from NAPA or similar.
Risky to do it without the proper tool. Broken or damaged flywheel is expensive.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have the correct year parts motor all the parts will work, just swap them over. As for the flywheel, get a puller, some people use pry bars and a hammer, but this can damage it.

I haven't done a 25 but if its like the 15hp then you will need to get a gasket to change the starter mount. There's a few items that have to be changed and the wiring only fits one way so take pics and copy the way its routed around the engine. A good steering wheel puller and 3 quality bolts with large washers make a great fly wheel puller. Timing will have to be checked/set once every thing is changed over.

Thornes1

Cadet
Thanks guys I picked up a puller from princess auto today, the change over will be done this week :)