Sealing a fuel sending unit

skyguy.r

Cadet
I am replacing the fuel sending unit on my below deck, 4 inch deep 18 gal fuel tank. I removed and inspected it and could not get the resistance of the potentiometer to cooperate so I put it back in while I find a replacement sender and gasket. I was happy that the white crud on the tank and gasket was easy to remove, but it leaks a little anyhow.
Any suggestions for a sealant for use with the new gasket and fuel level sending unit? A sealant that will be as easy to remove as the old stuff?

BTW, I was only able to find one replacement sending unit for such a shallow 4 inch deep tank.

Thanks in advance.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
You shouldnt need any sealer the new sender will come with a new gasket and most come with new screws that already have sealer on them, just make sure the tank and sender mating surfaces are clean.....and don't over tighten to the point it pinches the gasket out.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with the above, but if for some reason it still leaks I like permatex gasket products to seal them. Just put it around the top of the sending unit where it mounts and it will usually dry and seal the leaks.