Sears 7 hp electrical assistence

porky3876

Recruit
Just found this site, signed up and would like to ask my first question

I bought a 7 hp Sears clutch shift motor that I know nothing about and would like to ask about what "checks" I can make to determine why I can't get a spark. The plate in the front says its a 217-58870 with a SN 210949. A small tag attached to the engine reads T-640-05A, then next line is 6740519. Flywheel reads Tecumseh.

I can see no points or condenser. There is a lead coming from under the flywheel and hooks onto coil that has a lead going to the spark plug. Under the flywheel is a sealed black box.

Would someone be able to direct me on how I should go about testing the componets to determine the cause of getting no spark at the spark plug?

This seems like a pretty nice little engine that would be just what I need. Has good compression and seems complete. Would really like to get it running.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

The ignition components are under the flywheel so you're going to have to pull it.

Last edited:

porky3876

Recruit
Yep, got the flywheel off and all is accessable. Just need some help testing the componets to find out why it don't spark. Also need some ideas on a source to buy parts to fit this.