Need new two-way radios for small boats

tjandrews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother and I take a fishing vacation on the St. Lawrence River each year. We take two 14-ft aluminum boats with 10-15 hp outboards and range about 3 miles up and down river from the fishing camp, so we could be as much as 6 miles apart but most of the time would be closer to each other than that. There is a large island in the middle of that range, about 4 miles by 500 feet. We've been using CB walkie-talkies, one 4-watt and one 2-watt, to stay in touch for years, to alert the other person on how they're biting and on what, when to come in for lunch, just general chit-chat. They worked OK most of the time, but not all. Skip from the Carolinas is always a big, annoying problem, and range is never what you'd think it ought to be. But now they are aging and not working so well. We're looking into getting replacements. I'm wondering if some of the FRS/GMRS radios that are optimistically labelled as having ranges from 24 to 30 miles (Yeah, I know that's a pipe dream) would do the job. Maybe some that include the weather channels, too.

tjandrews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Spotty. Biggest problem is we're as likely to roam off into Canada as we are to stick in the U.S. when on the river, and our cell carrier won't allow it.

tjandrews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here's a photo of me in one of the boats at the camp dock. Notice the freighter in the background. At that point, the Canadian border is just behind that freighter. Also notice the walkie talkie in the soda cup clamped to the side of the boat. That's what we use now.

Attachments

• photo207121.jpg
    photo207121.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0

tjandrews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

A screenshot from Google Earth of the section of the river where we fish. We stay strictly on the New York side because we have lifetime NY fishing licenses, but no Canadian license.

Attachments

• photo207124.jpg
    photo207124.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
While I would normally suggest marine VHF radios, the kind of chatter you do doesn't belong on those frequencies, so I think FRS/GMRS radios would be a good way to go. Note that you don't need a license for FRS, you do need one for GMRS, even though they share some channels. GMRS has higher allowable transmission power.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think you should get VHF DSC radios. You need the ability to get New York and Canada weather . You also need to be able to talk to the Coast Guard and Canadian Coast Guard. The DSC function will allow both coast guards to locate you in case of emergency