2 batteries in a milk crate... what size?

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My project boat uses 2 batteries and there's a milk crate for them to go in. I'm about to buy the batteries and need to know what size battery can I fit 2 of in a rectangular milk crate?

Thalasso

Commander
Why not get battery trays and forget about it? They need to be secured in the boat by law.
If that's the way you want to go is it to hard to take the dimensions of the milk crate and the dimensions of batteries to see what will fit? I don't see two batteries of any size other then PWC batteries fitting in a milk crate

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Measure your milk crate, go to Wally World and measure some batteries. Better yet, take your milk crate and do some test fitting. BTW, most milk crates are square.

TBarCYa

The plan is to replace the crate with boxes before she's ready to be in the water full time but in the meantime, I'm planning to use the crate to get thru a handful of test runs this season but don't want to buy group29 batteries if group 27 are the largest that fit. Because of the configuration of the boat, whatever fits in the crate is what will fit regardless of whether they're in boxes or not.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You can determine this easily. 1). Measure the cate 2) go on-line to check battery sizes and dimensions. 3) buy whatever fits.

TBarCYa

If the boat was in my driveway and not at a marina 60 miles away, it would be that easy.

Bondo

Staff member
If the boat was in my driveway and not at a marina 60 miles away, it would be that easy.

Ayuh,..... 'n how are We to know the inside dimensions of yer milk crate,..??..??

Yer not gonna get 2, gr 24s or 27s in it,....

TBarCYa

As it turns out, group 24 batteries fit but the 27 is too big. I ended up moving things around to make the group 29 fit.