Rewiring an anchor light

motownbob

Seaman Apprentice
I have to replace an anchor light that is the fold down type that mounts to the windshield of my walk around with Bimini top . I want to rewire the light and not use the old wiring . Can I wire the light directly to the switch at the helm ? I am concerned about the old wiring which is enclosed in the the aluminum windshield channel . I really don't want to take apart the windshield to get at it . The wiring in this boat is really tough to work on , a real birds nest . I tried to trace the wires back from the switch to find where it comes out of the windshield frame , but no luck . I would like to leave it there with no power to it . I think that the gray wire from the switch is the power to the light . If I disconnect this wire and run a new from the light , will I be okay , or do I have to find where the black hooks into ground and disconnect it ? Any suggestions are welcome ! Thanks , Bob

NYBo

Admiral
You can continue to use the black. But for a neater appearance, would you be able to use the old wires to pull new wires through the windshield channel?

motownbob

Seaman Apprentice
One of the two wires broke in the channel : it looks like it was butt connected as about a 3/8 inch strip of bare wire came out when I removed the old light . So right now I have no way to pull one of the two wires through . Bob

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would look until I found where the broken wire exists on the other end. Pull it out and then use the remaining wire as a pull wire for either a strong string or the two new wires. I would probably pull two strings through so I had a back up.